Thursday, May 19, 2016

Weight Gain and Next Steps

I stepped on the scale yesterday and I am up to 169 pounds. Last fall, I honestly was at around 155-159. I had stopped running a lot because I was at a point where I was injured (psoas muscles) and that I lost my love of running.

I have spent the last six months lifting and climbing and doing a little bit of running (maybe 10-12 miles a week.) on top of this I have been going through a divorce. So needless to say, I have been junk eating. I have cut back a lot of the bad stuff, I was eating a diet of PDQ sandwiches and rockstar energy drinks.


So here I am, weighing the heaviest I have been in about 10 years. I am also stronger than ever before I can easily bench/squat 135 and deadlift 200 pounds. I can do 100 pushups easily and do more pullups than I ever thought I could possibly do.


But, I have missed running and have started adding the miles in again. This gives me extreme pleasure and it feels great to be running and running fast. All this strength has lead me on a faster path than I thought. My pace is much faster than last fall and my lungs are finally turning around.


So, I am basically calling myself out. I need help. I don't really know what to do. I have tried Paleo before and I have had some success, I have never truly tried a Keto diet, but I want something that is life changing and I really can't see myself drinking heavy whipping cream. I was thinking of the 21 day fix, but worry about energy and recovery from workouts. I am at a point where I would like to try something different. Summer is around the corner and I am in a place where I believe change is possible.

So give me ideas, your opinions and what you think I should do.....


4 comments:

  1. Hey homie, I got to go for a run with the punisher last week and I was reminiscing about old races and your name came up. I don't really have any advice as I was always a shittier runner than you, but I just want you to know I'm always in the same boat trying to keep weight off. I get about 8 hours of sleep which sounds like a weird weight loss tip, but it helps me tremendously. I've been gluten free for about 3 years and have started limiting more grains; not ready or willing to go fully keto yet, but the results are astonishing especially from a weightloss perspective.

    The last thing that has helped me tremendously is cold showers. I would say it lessens my depression by about 20% just taking a frigid 5 minute shower everyday.

    Love you man, I hope you get to a happy place. If you can get out to CO you have a couch to crash on whenever. Peace

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow sorry about the big D. Knew about injury so I guess it's been a rough year. I follow 90/10 rule. Mostly high fat, lean protein and fresh veggies. Although I'm drinking a beer now :) I'm with Ben. Cold showers, water and sleep.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whoa. sorry to hear about your relationship change. I have to admit I'm shocked. If you ever need someone to trade some f-bombs with, let me know.As for your weight/fitness training, I'm no help as I'm pushing 200 pounds, which is ridiculous for someone my height/frame. Years ago I had great success with the Atkins (protein) plan, but it wasn't sustainable over the long haul for me (well, actually for my wife). I have used a variety of programs from BeachBody and they were awesome, if you're looking for a "canned" option to provide some variety. Just take care of yourself, man!

    Damon P

    ReplyDelete
  4. Run Fatter. You know it works... skip the heavy cream...eat lots of eggs and veggies and butter. mmmmmmm.....

    ReplyDelete