Thursday, October 29, 2015

Failure...it is an option

So what now...

I have been struggling intensely since the summer. I never did hit 100 miles. I hit 80 frequently and hit 90 once, but I never did hit the illustrious 100 mile mark.

I felt like a fraud writing about how great I was doing, when inside I hated running. My body was beat up. I was struggling with electrolyte imbalances, cramping up in my sleep and running slower. But I did what most of us do,  I pushed through and said, "I will get through this. I will become tougher. I need to keep pushing forward."

However, it left me feeling frustrated and empty. Running became a job and once the school year started (I am a teacher.) I fell apart. I could move through the runs, but I felt hurt and broken.

I ran North Face 50k with a time of 447. It is about 25 minutes slower than I wanted, but while I was running it felt as if a ball pein hammer was smashing into my psoas muscles and I shortened my stride. I then paced the Chicago marathon and I felt sluggish and hurt. I got a massage afterwards and started to feel a little better. But every time I ran over 9 miles the hammer would enter my hips, and once it started the pain never ended.

So I lined up for the Fall 50, with modified hopes and expectations. I knew there would be pain, but that I wanted to finish. I wanted to prove I could run through pain and be a tough guy. But after 9 miles, the pain came back and my pace went from 8s to 9s to 10s to 12s. I was hobbling. I was in pain. I was in worse pain than at NF. I couldn't extend my stride. I was miserable. So, I dropped. It sucked, I hated to do it. Luckily my friend, Jessica Garcia's boyfriend, was waiting for me and he drove me to my phone. Jessica went to finish 3rd overall female. I wanted to be by her side when she celebrated victory.

So what now? My future in running feels bleak.

BUT NO!!!! Running has been a life force in my life. It got me off the couch, saved me emotionally, mentally and spiritually. Running has been there for me when I needed it. Through the cancer of my father, through the struggles of adulthood and through the ups and downs of depression, anxiety and addiction.

Join me as I fight back! Join me as I learn how to be a stronger and smarter runner. I have PT sessions lined up, I have gait analysis lined up, and I have a new commitment to strength. I will make it through and be a better runner.

I will be back.

6 comments:

  1. We all struggle at times. Rest up, get stronger for next year

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like my story in 2014, Jason. Injuries. Burn out. Every run a chore. I did what you're doing now (PT, REST, ETC) and bounced back to run 3:03 at Lakefront. Close to my PR from 2012, so no complaints. You'll come back stronger for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Much respect to you and your accomplishments, JP. You'll figure out what's up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. with failure comes greater success. you will be back my friend.

    ReplyDelete